Short courses starting in February 2009: "Managing a Diversity of Learners" and "Starting to tutor online"
Managing a Diversity of Learners - starts 3 February 2009
“This was the most interesting and challenging course I have ever been on”
This course aims to:
- Enable you to identify and make appropriate provision for diversity in the context of HE
- Extend your awareness of a range of approaches to learning
- Increase your awareness and ability to respond sensitively and appropriately to issues relating to inclusivity and accessibility
- Encourage you to value diversity as a potential enrichment of the learning experience and to minimise barriers to learning
The course will look at policies, procedures and legislation including Human Rights, Disability Discrimination Act(s) as well as addressing issues around international students, codes of practice, ethics, morality and approaches to learning and teaching.
Learning and Teaching Methods
There will be a mixture of workshops, group work and participants will be encouraged to keep a reflective journal during the course. Facilitator Avril Horsford is Head of Academic Diversity at London College of Fashion.
1 full day on 3rd February 2009 and 3 half day sessions on 11th February 2009, 18th February 2009, and 25th February 2009
venue: cltad, 2-6 Catton Street, London WC1R 4AA. Course fees: £250.00
Online course for tutors in art and design: starting to tutor online - starts 20 February 2009
“It made me realise that there was so much I didn't know, now I feel much more confident supporting my students online”
This seven-week course is designed to meet the needs of colleagues who are new to supporting students on-line in art design and communication.
Who should participate
Anyone interested in supporting students on-line in distance or blended learning courses, in higher or further education. Participants may already have a basic knowledge of using a VLE and wish to develop their expertise by broadening their use of available facilities. However it should be stressed that this course is aimed at an introductory level.
The course will be run through the University of the Arts VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) Blackboard and will involve individual tasks, group work, discussions, and some live discussions through the use of ‘chat’. Participants will be expected to participate in approximately 3-5 hours per week of work associated with the course.
At the end of the course you will have
- Navigated your way through Blackboard to use a range of tools required in online delivery
- Looked at learning with in the context of a VLE
- Considered academic papers and reviewed key online pedagogic issues
- Examined pedagogical theories applied to online/blended learning
- Completed a series of tasks including a collaborative task
- Taken part in discussions using discussion boards and a chat room
- Peer assessed a task achieved
- Examined solutions to problems that can arise online - through a case study
Tim Jackson is a PL at LCF and has developed two online programmes of study for the College and currently delivers the online short course for Artscom.
Start of course: Friday 20th February and will last for 7 weeks and will be taking place online. Course fees: £275.00. Please book online: www.cltad.ac.uk
Other short courses available:
- Virtual Worlds in Art Education - first meeting 3rd March 2009
- Right writing - first meeting 22nd April2009