Integrating Sustainability into Design Education: The Toolkit
In October 2009, the Designers Accord convened over 100 progressive individuals from academic and professional institutions all over the world for two days of highly participatory discussion, planning and action around the topic of design education and sustainability. The main activity was small-group brainstorming focused on answering these questions:
- How can we continue to move design education forward?
- How can we create a common language?
- How can we communicate best?
- How can we design a sustainability curriculum?
- How can we update existing design programs?
- How can we turn abstract ideas into concrete actions?
- How can we help students work in more meaningful ways?
- How can we measure success?
The Designers Accord have subsequently developed a toolkit that it is hoped will help influence design education so that the next generation of designers will be able to practice sustainably.http://edutoolkit.designersaccord.org/
The Designers Accord is a global coalition of designers, educators, and business leaders, working together to create positive environmental and social impact.