Understanding and Implementing the National Professional Standards for Teaching: Standard Descriptor 3
- Sheffield Hallam University
- 3 April 2008 10:00-15:45
A SEDA One-day Conference offered in conjunction with the Higher Education Academy
"Understanding and Implementing the National Professional Standards for Teaching: Standard Descriptor 3"
This one-day conference aims to explore the meanings and possible implementations of the UK Professional Standards Framework Standard Descriptor 3.
The event will provide examples of work being done across the sector to develop and embed the standard within institutions. The day will comprise a number of presentations with parallel interactive sessions providing the opportunity to discuss various approaches and case studies. A final plenary will share the main learnings and identify necessary future steps.
Presenters and facilitators will include:
- Michael Gunn, Pro Vice Chancellor Learning, Teaching and Scholarship, University of Derby
- Jean Harrison, HR Director, University of Westminster
- David Baume, Independent Consultant
- Sandy Cope, Senior Teaching Fellow - CPD and Curriculum Design, University of Derby
- Julie Hall, Head of Learning and Teaching, Roehampton University
- Kristine Mason O’Connor, Dean of Teaching and Learning, University of Gloucestershire
- Sue Thompson, Director of Teaching and Learning, Liverpool John Moores University
Sessions will focus on:
- Developing a conceptual underpinning of Standard Descriptor 3: revisiting the development of the descriptor; considering its relationship to standard descriptors 1 and 2 and interpreting and redefining the descriptor.
- The challenges, ideals and realities of embedding Standard Descriptor 3: exploring potential implications and consequences of using the standard descriptor in a variety of different ways.
- The application of Standard Descriptor 3 in practice: sharing a range of approaches developed in institutions; solutions to problems and challenges encountered in the process and the experiences of Accreditation by the Higher Education Academy and SEDA.
Who should attend?
This event will be of value to staff who are involved in:
- Setting policy for professional development
- The organisation, management and delivery of professional development, whether at institutional or departmental level, for all those who teach and otherwise support learning
- The development of resources to support the professional development of teachers and all staff who support learning
- Human Resource functions associated with professional development
- Developing reward and recognition processes
- Embedding the UK Professional Standards Framework
- Developing senior academic roles and responsibilities.
Cost: £95 per person
Special Offer – two or more people from the same institution (must book together): £80 per person
Lunch and refreshments included