'Re-thinking the Screenplay'
- University of Leeds
- 12 September 2008 00:00
The first conference organised by the Screenwriting Research Network based at the Louis Le Prince Centre, Institute of Communication Studies, University of Leeds, in partnership with research colleagues at the University of Art and Design Helsinki.
Our intention is to draw together colleagues who are actively researching and reflecting on screenwriting, whether through traditional or practice-based research, and at both pre- and post- doctoral level; and to extend membership of the Network as support for ongoing research.
Speakers will include:
- film-maker Dr. Kathryn Millard (Macquarie, Aus);
- film-maker Prof. J.J. Murphy (Wisconsin-Madison, USA);
- animation expert Prof.Paul Wells (Loughborough, UK);
- screenwriter Prof. Michael Eaton (Nottingham Trent, UK) (tbc);
- film historian Prof. Graham Roberts (Liverpool John Moores, UK)
- and colleagues from Helsinki.
The practice of screenwriting is now an established taught subject in Universities around the world. The theory of screenwriting lags some way behind, and this conference redresses that imbalance by inviting colleagues to reflect on the key document – the screenplay – and on the processes that surround its use.