Pedagogic Research in the Disciplines
- Grand Central Hotel, Glasgow
- 12 May 2011 09:30-16:00
This one day workshop will be of interest to subject based academics and educational developers interested in developing ideas for future research and sharing practice between disciplines in terms of approaches and issues in this field. The event also aims to identify future areas for developmental support within different disciplines. Participants will be supported to develop pedagogic research questions and methodologies appropriate for their discipline.
The HEA is putting out a major funding call in May for ‘Teaching Development Grants’. This event therefore provides an important opportunity for colleagues in the sector to develop ideas for potential research proposals and collaborative partners.
- To find out what pedagogic research needs to be undertaken within different disciplines, and by the end of the day, leave with a research question and understanding of the most appropriate methodology to explore the research question
- To identify similarities and differences in issues around pedagogic research between cognate discipline areas (STEM, Arts and Humanities, Health and Professions, and Social Sciences)
- To inform the HEA’s future development of relevant services to support pedagogic research within different disciplines
1. 09:30 – 10:00 Registration and refreshments
2. 10:00 – 10:15 Welcome (and outline of the purpose of the day)
3. 10:15 – 11:00 Keynote (Dr Marilyn Hammick), including Q&A
4. 11:00 – 12:00 Workshops “Current issues in pedagogic research" in the following cognate groups:
- STEM (Dr Mark Huxham, Edinburgh Napier)
- Arts and Humanities (Prof Susan Orr, York St John)
- Health and Professions (Dr Marilyn Hammick, Research and Education Consultant; Board Member of CAIPE)
- Social Sciences (Dr Joyce Canaan, Birmingham City University)
5. 12:00 – 12:30 Plenary feedback - to identify areas of commonality and distinctiveness across the disciplines
6. 12:30 – 13:30 Lunch
7. 13:30 – 15:00 Workshop “putting things into practice” (x 4 subject cognate groups - facilitated by morning speakers and HEA)
8. 15:00 – 16:00 Plenary feedback
There will be a £50.00 charge to attend this event.
For further information and booking: www.heacademy.ac.uk/events/detail/pedegogicresearch