Facebook: a network, a research tool, a world?
- Liverpool John Moores University
- 24 October 2008 11:00-14:45
You are invited to a one day symposium on Facebook. The event is free of charge, and is aimed at researchers, lecturers and graduate students working on the topic. Light refreshments will be served
11.00 - 11.15 Coffee
11.15 - 12.45 Living with Facebook
- Facebook, social integration and informal learning at University: ‘It is more for socialising and talking to friends about work than for actually doing work’. Tristram Hooley, CRAC, and Jane Wellens, University of Leicester On-line research methods training programme
- Social networking or social surveillance? Understanding student's use of Facebook. Rhianne Jones, Liverpool John Moors University and Salford University
- Facebook's Ethics. Ben Light, Kathy McGrath and Marie Griffiths, Salford University
12.45- 13.30 Lunch break
13.30 -14.45 Learning and researching with Facebook
- Long lost cousins - using Facebook as an electronic focus group. Fiona Frank, Department of Continuing Education, Lancaster University and Department of History, University of Strathclyde.
- Whose Space is it anyway? Libraries, Librarians and Facebook. Jane Secker, LASSIE project, London School of Economics