A Manifesto for Media Education Symposium
- RIBA, 66 Portland Place, London W1B 1AD
- 10 June 2011 09:30-15:30
This symposium is part of the wider Manifesto for Media Education project which is an attempt to develop a shared understanding, some shared reasons, for media education.
Are we seeking to develop the media producers of tomorrow, or to nurture individuals capable of holding power to account? Are we seeking to hold a looking glass up to society in order for society itself to better understand itself, or perhaps we are hoping to develop a more media literate society capable of protecting itself from media conglomerates? This symposium will explore these issues and will seek to identify future directions for media education practice and research.
- Professor Natalie Fenton, Department of Media and Communications, Goldsmiths, University of London
- Professor David Buckingham,The Centre for the Study of Youth and Media, Institute of Education, London University
- Professor David Gauntlett, School of Media Arts and Design, University of Westminster
- Dr Julian McDougall, Newman University College, Birmingham
- Jenny Grahame, Editor Media Magazine, English and Media Centre
- Dr Mark Readman, The Centre for Excellence in Media Practice, Bournemouth University
- Nik Powell, National Film and Television School
The symposium will be co-chaired by Jon Wardle and Pete Fraser, The Centre for Excellence in Media Practice, Bournemouth University.