2008 student essay competition
This year the winning essay was written by Joanna Beard, a third year BA (hons) Film Studies student from University College Falmouth. To read the essay
“Effective feedback – what has worked for you and why?”
ADM-HEA is offering students studying on art, design or media higher education courses in the UK the chance to enter this year's competition and answer the question above in an essay of around 1000 words.
The winner will receive £250 and have their essay published in the Subject Centre’s Networks Magazine and on this website. They will also represent ADM-HEA in the UK-wide competition. This offers a top prize of a Toshiba Laptop and all expenses paid attendance at the Higher Education Academy’s Annual Conference taking place in July 2008.
Submitted essays will be assessed against the following criteria and should:
- Include examples of feedback in your discipline
- Analyse the effects of feedback
- Explain the effects that you think feedback should have
- Explain how teachers can provide feedback with positive effects
When writing your essay please consider the following. You should:
- Be sensitive to cultural, contextual and institutional differences (i.e. it should not expose particular individuals or openly criticise an individual department. Ideally you should anonomise the essay.)
- Provide an individual and honest account.
- As far as you can, see things from others’ viewpoints and provide potentialy perceptive observations and helpful ideas for Educational teaching staff.
- Make your essay entertaining and interesting to read.
- Ensure that the essay is reasonably written in terms of structure, grammar and spelling.
- Not exceed 1000 word limit by more than 10% either way.
- Submit your essay with the application form in electronic format.
- Be aware that a glowing report may be pleasant to read but we anticipate that a thorough, fair exposition of what you found, if critical, fully argued and explained is the most likely to win high marks from the judges.
The closing date for the competition was 28 March 2008.
If you have any questions, please contact Jenny Embleton on 01273 643119 or email email@example.com